Thursday, November 11, 2010

Poul Cadovius. CADO Wall Units and Much More.

Personal status: back from Florida, still sick with upper respiratory infection, still blogging, still etsy-ing!  I don't know how to "rest".  What's that?

If you're a mid century fanatic you are probably familiar with, or in my case obsessed with, CADO wall units.  You know, the massive (beautiful, genius, practical, striking, need I go on....) wood shelving systems from the 1950's - 1970's that attach to a wall?

A true CADO got it's name from Danish architect Poul Cadovius.  The wall unit was first designed from a personal need; he was looking for a system that would provide maximum storage space but would also blend into the atmosphere seamlessly.

Take a look at some of his incredible wall system designs below...and did you know he is responsible for a multitude of other furniture pieces too?

Maybe someday I'll have my own CADO......











2 comments:

Modernsnap ! said...

AHH, UHH, dream. y. ness. There's only one house in my non modern town that had one of these and the house was for sale about 8 years ago. Put a bid on and didn't get it. About two years later, the people tore these out and had a garage sale, can you believe it? I almost cried when I realized it was gone. Seriously. Teared up. It had built in platform beds too which they destroyed as well. South Dakota has such non-design worthy people! Your pictures are going to have to do for now!

ps. I've decided to tell people I'm named after the brutalist Alison. :)

Rhan Vintage said...

Oh, no, no no no they didn't! I'm crying right along with you sister. I can hardly stand hearing stories like this. Beautiful, original pieces destroyed. "UGH" **clutching my chest and gasping**!! I'll be picturing them ripping it out for a long time....

P.S. Love the Brutalist Alison angle!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...