Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Atomic Age Dresser and Desk Set

Check out this funky and unique set from the 1950's!  I purchased this atomic style dresser and desk set this past Saturday from an estate sale.  It was a fun couple of hours.   The daughter of the woman who had recently moved in to an elderly home was the only person running the sale. She was quite a character and so much fun to meet and talk to.  She had stories about every single item in that home.

The house....well if you've seen the show "Hoarders" that will give you a good idea of what some of the rooms looked like in this home.  Fortunately I'm not afraid to dig and climb and rummage.  I actually kind of like it.  It makes me feel like Mike or Frank from American Pickers.

This awesome set was in one of the bedrooms and under feet of books and miscellaneous and dust, inches of dust.  Still, I saw them and knew I had to have them.  They are in surprisingly good condition after cleaning them up - even the white tops!   Made by Cal-Style Furniture Co. Los Angeles, "Nordia" style.

I thought for a minute about keeping the dresser for a future baby/child's room but then I decided to sell and keep the set together. They belong together and I have no need for the rather large desk.

So here they are - pretty fun huh?  and I just love the orange chair!

10 comments:

Modernsnap ! said...

Oh Sweet Jesus! I'm in love, absolute love! Hey, do you sell on ebay at all? We are looking to make some cha ching for the holidays and I haven't sold on there in years but I know I could get top dollar for things like the C. Jere tree so I was just curious.

you can email me instead of blogging it if you want ...

modernsnap@gmail.com

Anyway, fab find, just glorious, if I were you, I'd keep it!

Rhan Vintage said...

Oh I know, I'm going back and forth on keeping it. I'm becoming quite the hoarder though. I'm trying not to become my very own episode of "Hoarders".

Anonymous said...

That really is the downside of selling mid-century things, isn't it? I can't tell you how many pieces followed me home from our booth. :)

Your desk is fantastic. I think it's highly adoptable and would soon feel right at home in your house! Or mine...

adriane said...

Oh. My. I would so keep this. It is really a cute set. Those colors are so perfect!

jamie@midcenturymania said...

Beautiful set. I agree they belong together....in MY HOUSE! I'd have to move our bed out to make room for it though.

jamie@midcenturymania said...

I just noticed the owls. Are those yours or are they for sale? I adore them!

Dana@Mid2Mod said...

I love this desk. That was my comment above about pieces following me home. I don't know why it showed as Anonymous. Anyway, the offer to adopt it is still open. :)

Rhan Vintage said...

Thanks! Those owls are mine, 2 from a large (and growing) collection.

jamie@midcenturymania said...

I would love to see photos of your collection. Have you done a post on them yet? I'll have to check your archives. Thanks.

Rhan Vintage said...

No I haven't. There are a few of them in a post about my office decor. I should do that though... I just love owls. ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...