Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Rainy Tuesday and Talk of Bullet Planters.

Bleck! I woke to rain.  It was not supposed to come until Wednesday so I had not pulled in all of the furniture in my backyard. I refinished a chair and a small table yesterday.  All wet.  Wooooooops!!   It's totally my fault because I should have brought things in earlier - yes, "just in case", but I'm still cursing the weather man under my breath a little.

On another note entirely, I've been researching bullet planters a lot lately.  I really, really want one for my  den.  I saw one last summer on Craigslist for $50 and I missed out.  Dumb.  I waited, for what I don't know, then I checked back and it was gone. Of course it was!

They're quite pricey on Ebay and in stores and I have yet to happen upon one at an estate sale.   I gave up my search for a bit but I've picked it up again recently because I'm so over the blue pot I have now holding my mother-in-law tongue plant.  The plant is getting so big and beautiful. It's just screaming for a bullet!

Bid is up to $92 plus $35 shipping on Ebay 

This one is $80 buy it now plus $14 shipping on Ebay

$249.99 buy it now plus $31.60 shipping on Ebay 


Newly made planters at Hip Haven $145-$160

$145 from CNStark @ Etsy

Modcats.com SOLD

Design Within Reach $165 medium size

and some bullets in homes:
I love seeing other people's design!



How cool is this series?!  Courtesy of Mod-o-rama 







Do you have a bullet planter or perhaps several (lucky you)? Let's see em'!



16 comments:

stacey said...

i can't believe the prices they fetch on ebay. i never thought i'd have any (i'm content with plant stands) but at an estate sale, i got 4 of them plus a hairpin stand that will fit a modern pot... all for $30. don't hate me!

i only have one on the porch, it's still holding a fake white pointsetta plant. when it gets warmer i will probably try my hand at filling the rest with flowers for outside. will get pics when i do. :)

Dana@Mid2Mod said...

We just placed a large order with Hip Haven for bullet planters to sell in our store. We'll have mostly vintage items, but we'll also have a sprinkling of things like repro bullet planters for people to use till they can find a good buy on a vintage one.

Sudha said...

omg! i dint realize bullet planters weere so pricey..:(

wonderful post Marcy

Rhan Vintage said...

Stacey, go ahead and torture me with your 4 planters for $30 story!! J/K - good for you, maybe that luck will transfer to me at an estate sale this year! Yes, post pics when you fill them!

Rhan Vintage said...

Dana, what's the name of your shop? Do you sell on line or is it brick & mortar?

stacey said...

Rhan if you were flickr cruising planters, I'm sure you saw this person's BLASPHEMY: http://i51.tinypic.com/34dhrf7.jpg

her "before" pic is exactly like one of the lot I got... but still what she did to it infuriates me to no end. this 'repurposing' trend has gone way too far.

Rhan Vintage said...

I hear ya! I like everything original. I love the "string" fiberglass finish of the original. Speaking of blasphemy, I almost did a why-oh-why post on a gorgeous teak mid century credenza someone painted glossy black. Gasp!! I don't want to offend anyone though so I let it go. Not everyone keeps it pure I guess.

stacey said...

I'm with you! I almost dedicated a whole post on a certain etsy seller that takes MCM furniture pieces and makes them (gasp) shabby chic. That is bad enough, what's worse is that she claims she does it in the interest of 'recycling' and 'repurposing'. Living green is wonderful but it's really not green if you're taking something that is desirable by someone, then using toxic paints and treatments on it to sell to someone else... It's just profiteering.

/end rant. Your blog post inspired me to scan some MCM magazine pics of planters and plant boxes. :)

Dana@Mid2Mod said...

We're opening a brick and mortar store in Dallas in a few weeks, and the name will be Mid2Mod. We won't start out making things available online, but we've discussed it and probably will later.

Rhan Vintage said...

Dana, that's so exciting! I'd love to see pictures, etc. when it's open. Congrats!

Modernsnap ! said...

Hey, I just sold my bullet planter on ebay and I didn't get all that much for it! What the heck? Sold for like $50 and it even had the gold spatter paint on the pot! I wish I would have known you wanted one so bad, I coulda sent it to you instead of some dumb ebay person! :) You'll find one soon I'm sure!

Rhan Vintage said...

Ahhhh man!! Too bad.

Vintage Hunter said...

I'm with you! I've been looking for one forever now. I found one at a sale last fall - unfortunately in the hands of someone else! One of these days it shall be mine!

annechovie said...

I love the aqua version! Thanks for your visit to my blog. Have a great weekend!

Dana@Mid2Mod said...

After everything dried, was your furniture all right? I've been keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Rhan Vintage said...

Dana you're so sweet! Thanks for asking. Everything turned out okay, thank goodness. I thought my danish chair and table might be ruined but they dried perfectly.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...